Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Native Ball- A Sport Worth Watching

Seven players on either side in a 35mx75m court are all ready for an exciting innings. Crowd in the stadium are cheering their favourite teams. There is a festive atmosphere in Puthupally while the tournament is going on. I would like to introduce a team sport which is native to my hometown Kottayam (Kerala, India) and the pride of my village Puthupally, Nadan Pantukali (native ball game). The sport originated in 1900 in Kottayam and tournaments are still conducted during vacations.
It is an interesting sport, played in seven innings like cricket. The innings, known as Vara are named otta, petta, pidiyan, thalam, keezhu, and indan. The serving is called Vettu. The sport, conducted mostly in rural areas, is played between two teams with seven barefoot players in each team.
The ball is peculiar as it is made of salt-dried leather.
Myself, sister and cousins used to accompany my father, who was the President of Kerala Native Ball Association during that time, to watch the game. I found it really interesting but have lost touch with it since it has been decades, I had watched it.

2 comments: