Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Monsoon Delayed!

                                                               I hear the cry,
                                                               In mornings dry,
                                                               Near my kitchen,
                                                               Piercing into my ears,
                                                               I care not to listen,
                                                               As I've to hasten,

A Hornbill at our backyard

                                                                  Till one day,
                                                                  It rattled my home,
                                                                  I step out to probe,
                                                                  Nestled on a tree,
                                                                  The hornbill wails,
                                                                  Rain, where art thou?

Two days back I spotted the grey Indian hornbill at my back yard. As a child I had heard of stories and songs about this bird waiting for rain as it cannot drink water. They open their mouth to the rain and quench thirst. I lived in a very beautiful village in Kerala before coming to the city after marriage. All those years I never spotted a hornbill at my childhood home. It was a pleasure seeing this bird at the backyard where the migratory birds and other varieties flock. I did a research on this bird and found out that it never drinks water. Here, the monsoon is delayed and along with the hornbill we too are waiting desperately for rain.


                             

No comments:

Post a Comment