Friday, December 3, 2010

A Wrong Number

                                       
Day One

“Wrong number” I overheard my husband murmur to a stray call on his mobile. The mobile was not willing to be silenced easily. “Wrong number” same casual statement from my husband. The caller still seems unconvinced. “I am not Mr. Kumar, I am someone else” not the one to reveal his identity to any wrong numbers, Rajiv asserted and the call ends there.

Day Two

Call from the wrong number again at almost the same time. Rajiv’s attempt to dismiss the call by the routine “wrong number” seemed vain.  The caller seems all the more determined than earlier not to let things go so easy. “See this number belongs to me for the past many years. There is no chance of this belonging to some Mr. Kumar. You please check the number properly”, thanks to his people relation skills Rajiv tried to explain to the caller patiently about the mistaken identity. To his surprise this infuriated the caller “I know you are Kumar. You are bluffing. Don’t try to fool me. I am after you for the borrowed money and you are evading me for a long time. Just don’t pretend that you are not Kumar.” The overconfident caller blasted ‘Kumar’ through the phone valiantly.   

The situation was too funny for my husband to get agitated. “How can I convince you that I am not the one you want to talk. You do one thing, go to the police station and give a complaint on how Kumar is fooling you when you call him on this number.” He said.

“Just watch I am going to do that. I will complain about you to the police and get you arrested.” The angry caller shouted and hung up.

Till Date

It has been months since the incident. Rajiv still has the number saved as wrong number Kumar. Fate of Kumar is still unknown.

1 comment:

  1. I too once had a similar experience, slightly different. Will be writing about it soon.

    ReplyDelete